Category Archives: Design
2020 is three months in already – have you taken a look at the furniture trends that will be happening this year? Whatever your personal style, you’ll likely be able to find a new trend that you adore. Check out what’s happening this year in the furniture world and find your new obsession!
- Sustainable/Natural Furniture Materials: Earth-friendly furniture will be big this year. You’ll be finding more and more furniture made with cane, wicker, rattan, and bamboo popping up!
- Menswear Inspired: This trend will take the classic neutral palette to the next level. Incorporating texture and subtle patterns with industrial-inspired designs and materials such as leather, denim, and dark wood this trend will add a visually interesting look to any room.
- Made-to-Order: If you’re tired of having furniture that looks similar to everyone else’s and have been looking for something new, this is your year. More and more buyers have been looking for customized pieces so commissioning one-of-a-kind items will take off this year!
- Multi-functional Furniture: This style of furniture was designed with small living spaces in mind, but can be used anywhere to save space and make use of design elements such as hidden storage or charging ports.
- Go Blue: Pantone, whose products and services help define, communicate and control color from inspiration to realization, named “Classic Blue” as its Color of the Year. Previews of furniture for 2020 show furniture in an abundance of different blue, so grab a blue accent piece and stay on-trend.
- Curved furniture: Ditch that rectangular sofa and go for soft, romantic curves instead! Designers are moving away from structured styles and heading towards curved & asymmetrical pieces that make for softer environments.
These are just a handful of the furniture trends you’ll see pop up this year, so take a look around and find what variance of new works best for you. And be sure to stop by our website or one of our stores to find the perfect on-trend item for your space!
Let’s face it, tax season is never the most fun of times. However, Suburban Furniture is here to help make things better with our annual IRS sale! During our Inventory Reduction Sale you’ll find HUGE savings on living rooms, dining rooms, bedrooms, mattresses and more with prices SLASHED on America’s top-name furniture and mattress makers. Plus, add on no interest for 3 years and you’ll be swimming in savings!
With the Suburban Furniture My Perfect Mattress diagnostic system, you can determine the mattress best suited for your body type and sleep position. This system will diagnose where your pressure points are and suggest the best comfort level for how you sleep. Plus, it can map for two people at the same time and figure out what’s best for your sleep partner as well!
Or decorate your living room with some of our many decorative ottomans and poufs like this fabulous purple Cotton Velvet 24 x 24 x 13 Cube Pouf by Surya.
Update your kitchen with an island that brings convenient functionality and a laid-back, casual look into your kitchen like this Custom Dining Kitchen Island with Pull-Out Shelf by Bassett.
No matter how you want to update your home this spring, our IRS sale will help you find exactly what you’re looking for while saving you money! Stop by today and talk to one of our amazing staff members. Happy tax season!
When the weather outside is frightful, you want to make your indoors as warm and cozy as possible. You want to get hygge (hue-gah). Created as a concept and lifestyle by the Danish in the 18th century, it’s now a core part of their culture. What exactly does it mean? There’s no single English translation for the word but it embodies “coziness” and “enjoying the simple pleasures of life”. Pretty great, huh? The word may apply to a way of life but it also embodies decor too. Here’s how to get hygge this winter!
- The main point of hygge decor is creating a peaceful, serene space that’s free of clutter. That makes the first step – streamlining. You can’t truly relax in spaces that are overwhelmed with clutter and mess. So, do a Marie Kondo and get rid of any extra items or mess you have that don’t bring you happiness.
- Whether you’re making your entire home hygge or just a few spaces within, keep in mind the color scheme shouldn’t be bright or jarring. Stick to neutral colors like light greys, browns, and creams, that promote peace and harmony for a truly relaxing space.
- What’s more relaxing and stress-relieving than nature? Bring the outdoors inside by placing a few plants around your home. Or, if you have a black thumb and are capable of killing anything green, go for adding natural materials to your space – items like leather, wood, and stone.
- We all know how important lighting is in setting a mood, so to really get into the hygge mood, bring in lots of soft lighting. Turn off harsh overhead lights in favor of items like candles (electric or put in extremely safe places!) or twinkly strings of lights. This is guaranteed to make your space look more cozy.
- Finally, indulge in the ultimate cozy comfort by adding more soft and fuzzy to your hygge areas. Surround yourself with fuzzy blankets, fluffy throw pillows, shag rugs and the like to create a relaxing space you’ll love to be in!
The hygge concept is a truly lovely one and now that you’ve created your hygge space, it’s time to grab a book and a cup of coffee or cocoa, bundle up in all the soft, and relax. You’ll have no trouble making it through the rest of winter in your incredibly cozy home!
Every once in awhile it’s a good idea (and just plain fun) to invigorate your home with new life & style. With Suburban Furniture, that’s easy to do. Whether it be pops of color that brighten up the room or a vintage makeover that sweeps you back in time, we have a little something for everyone. Have a look at some of our ideas for spring makeovers for your rooms that will excite your senses, bring function to your surroundings, and change your home from blah to fab.
Go for a whole room makeover with something like this 3 piece sectional in a neutral performance fabric featuring brushed nickel nailheads. Add lots of designer pillows for extra flair, then finish the room off with a funky accent table like this clock one, a lean mirror, and rustic floor art.
Feeling au naturel? Getting in touch with nature while still inside is easy with this incredibly deep & comfortable 2 piece linen covered sectional featuring earthy designer pillows + lumbar pillows. The oversized rustic driftwood cocktail table creates a focal centerpiece while the rug invites a shoes off experience. Add some candles, then invite friends over for the perfect, relaxed evening!
Speaking of fabrics, don’t settle when it comes to them. Be insistent when it comes to the choice of fabrics that will reflect your style while creating a beautiful room. There a plethora of fabrics available to you such as velvet, chenille, damask, linen, cotton blends, leather, microfiber, and so much more. Add to that that amount of colors and styles and the sky is truly the limit. Don’t hold back!
While you’re picking out fabrics (or furniture or art or anything really) don’t be afraid to mix things up. Create a look of your very own by taking elements from looks you love such as classic or contemporary and meshing them together. Blend, match, twist it up into what suits you best. There are no rules when it comes to personal style (and even if there were we’d suggest breaking them anyway!).
Are you looking to just spruce things up a bit rather than engage in a total makeover? That’s simple enough to do too! Take your bedroom, for example. Change up your bed with an upholstered headboard. Go bold & wild with a pattern that draws the eye, go neutral to complement the furniture that already exists, or add a bit of bling via nailheads, tufting, satin ribbon, etc.
Finally, add some fun to your home with pops of color & whimsy! Art pieces, cute accent chairs, decorative pillows, and the such are easy additions to make to any room. They liven the place up and bring design schemes together. Below are some fabulous examples you can go by.
Choosing your perfect style is just a step away! Call us anytime at 973-927-7100 or stop by our store with any questions you might have and we’ll be happy to help out. Happy decorating!
Getting the perfect room design is easier than you think! With Suburban Furniture’s help, you can create the room of your dreams in just a few simple steps. Our Design Department will help you identify your decorating style, make furniture recommendations that fit your lifestyle, and present a detailed plan perfectly suited to your budget. Here’s how to get started.
- Start with measuring & taking photos of your room. This part is vitally important so try to be as accurate as possible with the measurements and take photos from different angles (from the doorway, from the corner – get the entire room in there!).
- Design a dream board. Gather together your furniture inspiration in the form of a Pinterest board or magazine photos or furniture images from our website. Pick as many or as few as you want – go wild! Include anything you might want even a little bit; it can be narrowed down to a particular style or want later.
- Sit back and relax! Now is our time to shine. From here, our expertise will work to help you avoid making any costly design mistakes. We’ll create a room plan and make furniture recommendations drawn from your dream board.
Ready to get started on your desired design? HERE’S how to get us all the above info. And if you’re interested in just browsing or have a question for us simply visit our site, give us a call, or drop by our store. We’re always happy & ready to help!
The dining room is often the heart of the home, even more so than the living or family room, because it is where the family gathers to eat, where children do their homework at night and is often a catch-all for the odds & ends that accumulate during the day (such as mail or gloves or important things to remember for the next day). The dining room is a pretty big deal is what we’re saying. So, it’s important to create a dining room that fits your & your family’s needs while maintaining the air of “family center” that you’re looking for. Creating that dining room is only a matter of knowing a few simple things about the art of dining furniture. After that, you’ll be on your way!
The most important decision you’ll make for your dining room is the dining room table. You’ll need to make sure the table fits into the space first of all. Then you’ll need to decide if you want to go formal or informal. You’ll also want to offer as many seats as you can, while still leaving enough space for people to move around the room. This is where deciding which shape your table should be comes into play. There are four shapes to choose from – square, rectangle, round, and oval. A rectangular shape is the classic dining room table look, while a square shape provides a more contemporary look. Round tables are great for small spaces (and make for cozy meals!), while oval tables are essentially rectangular tables without all the sharp edges. After you decide which shape is best for your dining room, you should make a decision on whether you want to add leaves to extend your table as needed. There are several different types these days and they definitely come in handy. We have a super guide on the types and their differences on our site.
Now that you have your table, you need to decide where you want to place it. Dining room tables tend to be centered but placing it off-center may strike a balance that makes for an intriguing visual. You could also place it against the wall for more space and simply pull it out when more people are there. Whichever you decide, make sure there’s still plenty of room to move through the dining area.
Next, it’s time to choose chairs. The most important aspect of chairs is that they be comfortable. The second most important aspect is most likely the height of said chairs. Dining room chairs these days are more widely varied than ever and come in standard height, counter height, and bar height. Standard height is obviously the traditional dining room chair height and tends to give you more variety to choose from. Counter height is just a smidge taller than standard height and gives your dining room a unique feel, plus it’s great for smaller spaces. Bar height is the tallest and is perfect for entertaining. You can also go with adjustable heights. Other things to consider when it comes to chairs is whether you want arms, whether you want them to have backs, and whether you want them stationary or swivel. It’s a lot to take in but play around with heights, fabrics & patterns till you hit that perfect melody that’s uniquely you. We have a dining room chair guide on our site that better explains the differences in chair heights that is incredibly helpful!
When you’re setting your chairs up, be sure to leave plenty of elbow room plus room for plates, silverware, etc. Two feet of space between chairs is a good standard to go by. So long as chairs aren’t so far apart that people have to talk loudly to have a conversation, you should be good!
You’re not quite done yet. Think about the floor. Your dining room floor is going to see a lot of foot traffic and will eventually have food, drink, and who knows what else spilled on it. What kind of floor do you have? If you have a floor that’s easy to wipe up spills from you may want to leave it as is, but if you have a floor that’s harder to clean or stains easily you should consider getting a durable rug to place underneath your dining room table. (Yes, the rug will get stained but it’s far better than letting your actual floor go through all that.) Plus, a fabulous rug will add visual weight and frame the dining area. Just make sure the rug is large enough so that when chairs are pulled out as people sit down, the chair legs don’t move off of it.
Focus on lighting next. Do you have an overhead light of some kind or a lamp in the corner of the room? People need to see what they’re eating (and each other!) during meals, plus lighting can make or break a mood when it comes to entertaining. Placing lighting of some kind above the table – whether it be a chandelier or pendant – creates the perfect light balance.
After all that, it’s simply a matter of decorating your space with wall pieces that reflect your family’s personality & style, maybe throwing in a sideboard for storage, and voila! You have created the perfect dining room. Congratulations, you’re going to love it!
Choosing the right table shape/size and choosing the right chair heights might seem a bit overwhelming which is why Suburban is here to help you on every step of your journey to your perfect dining area. Call us anytime at 973-927-7100 or stop by our store with any questions you might have and we’ll be happy to help out. Happy decorating!
Look around whatever room you’re sitting in. Go ahead, just a quick look around. What do you see? Do you see a sofa or a bed or a desk? Or do you see piles of mail in the corner of the dining table and that one cushion on the sofa that sags in the middle? Take another look around, but pretend that you’re a guest in your home and you’re seeing it all for the first time.
Taking a good look at your home through the eyes of another is a great way to inventory your furniture to see what might need to be replaced or updated. Think about it – when you’re expecting guests to your home, you’re never more aware of what your home looks like right? So, think like that. Grab a notebook and pen/pencil, then go around your home. Walk out the front door and walk back in if it helps you get in the mindset. Then look around. Does your sofa look more worn that you remember? Is that lamp older than you thought? Maybe you’ll decide that you need a new accent chair, or a new paint job.
You can also figure out what might be able to be moved to a better place. Maybe you have a piece of furniture in the attic that you can actually use somewhere in the house. Or perhaps you can move your sofa to the opposite wall and change the entire focus of the room. Even swapping chairs or lamps will freshen up the look of a room.
Take a look at your accessories while you’re at it. If you’ve had your family photo in the same frame for years, it’s not even being noticed anymore. Get a new one! Move your favorite art piece to a new place where it can always be seen. Don’t take the small things for granted – they can make a world of difference!
Doing a furniture inventory is a good way to start out a new year. Repainting, replacing, or just moving the furniture in your home can spice things up and give you a sense of renewed pride in your living space. It’s simple to do and if you decide you want or need new furniture just call us at Suburban Furniture or visit one of our stores. We’ll help you find what you need in no time!