Buying furniture can be a bit overwhelming. If you know exactly what you’re looking for it can make things easier, but if you have no idea…well, that’s an entirely different creature. There are so many factors to consider when purchasing a new sofa or mattress or dining room table. How do you know what you’re buying will last? What’s the best material? What questions should you ask the salespeople before purchasing? Will it fit into the space you want? These tips will help make the process a whole lot easier.
- Before buying, there are several questions you should get answers to, from the retailer you’re using. Ask if there’s a warranty on the item and what the store’s return policies are. Ask about the business’s product guarantees. And be sure to ask how long it will take for your purchase to be delivered plus how much that delivery will cost.
- What should you invest in? You want to invest the most in pieces that you’ll be using on a daily basis and/or that get a lot of traffic – think sofas, dining room table, rugs, and beds. Your mattress is another item where you should get the best quality you can afford. Sleep is important! You can save money on smaller purchases such as side tables or mirrors or consoles.
- Your sofa may be the second most important piece of furniture in your home (after your bed) so you want to make sure you’re buying one best suited for your needs. Check that the material is suitable for pets, children, & spills if you have those in your life. Look at the cushions to make sure they’re stuffed properly. Check that seams are well-made. And finally SIT on every chair & sofa you can. Having a beautiful sofa means nothing if it isn’t also comfortable!
- When it comes to fabrics, you should always ask the salesperson what the “rub count” is. The more “rubs” a fabric has the more durable it is.
- Do your research. Before going to a store, look online – find out where the item you’re looking at is made and what it’s made out of. Check reviews for not only the item but also the store itself. Ask friends who might have the same piece you want what their opinions are. The better prepared you are beforehand, the easier the process will be (and with less surprises!).
- Whether an item fits into your home is essential. Measure the space where you want to place the piece before purchase – the best way to do this is to take a measuring tape + painter’s blue tape & mark the dimensions on your floor. With the area marked, you can better visualize how the space will look.
- Look for sales. Sometimes stores (like us!) will have their current ads on their website, but if you come across a place that does not, just ask a store manager whether they have any discounts or sales going on (or coming up). Most of the time they’ll be more than happy to let you know!
Purchasing furniture doesn’t have to be an intimidating process. Doing the above will help you be better prepared for your furniture buying journey and help negate any unpleasant surprises.
Here at Suburban we’re more than happy to help you out with whatever you need. Our salespeople are knowledgeable & ready to answer any question you may have. Plus, you can visit our website ahead of time to look through our selection and find out current ad. So, call us anytime at 973-927-7100 or stop by. Happy shopping!