Monthly Archives: April 2018
During an April 2017 survey, 40 percent of internet users in the United States stated that they purchased items online at several times per month, and 20 percent said they bought items or services online on a weekly basis. Online shopping is becoming more and more convenient for people (though personally, we still prefer our brick & mortar stores!). There are still a few things, however, that people are wary of purchasing online with furniture being one of them. We’ve got a few tips here that will make shopping online for furniture seem less risky and much easier!
- Read the furniture description. People sometimes have a habit of simply scanning descriptions because they’ve looked at the photo of the piece and think, “okay, I’ve got it!”. But this is where you’ll find info on durability, construction, and instructions for cleaning the furniture, as well as measurements.
- Measure, measure, measure! We cannot stress this one enough – measuring is the most important component of buying furniture, period. It’s even more crucial when buying online. You won’t be seeing the furniture in a store and figuring out how it will look in your space that way, so your measuring skills need to be SOLID. Use measured-out painter’s tape or string to build a layout of how the piece will look in your home (remember to add extra space for items such as recliners that expand). And if your furniture comes pre-assembled, don’t forget to measure doorways!
- Read reviews. The furniture store will make this piece of furniture look its absolute best because that’s their job, but the ones who will know how the furniture actually looks and feels and works will be people who have already purchased. Read A LOT of reviews when considering a piece. A negative review here and there is no big, but several bad reviews in a row should make one wary.
- Wait before you buy. Why? Because the store might have a sale coming up that will make the piece cheaper or you might be able to drop by their physical store to grab a coupon of some kind. You might even be able to shop around and find the same piece for less somewhere else. We’re just saying impulse control is a good thing for your wallet!
- Check the return policy. Big one here because if that furniture piece DOESN’T work out for some reason, you’re gonna want to return it. So check out the store’s return policy top to bottom and email them if you have ANY questions about it. Some things to look for: a) Is there a time limit to their return policy? b) Do return items need to be in their original packaging? c) Is there a restocking fee? d) What will you need to do to return the item? and e) When can you expect to receive your refund after return?
Buying furniture online doesn’t have to feel like a big gamble; it can be as simple and risk-free as ordering that book from Amazon. And with Suburban Furniture it’s always simple and risk-free because we focus on customer service and are here to help you out from start to finish. Drop by our website to get a taste of what we have, then get to decorating!