Category Archives: General
Are you waking up not feeling refreshed but not struggling with pain? Your lack of sleep may be the result of something other than your mattress or pillow! Things such as light exposure can both positively or negatively affect your ability to fall asleep depending on how much exposure you’re getting, when you’re getting it, and what type of light exposure you’re getting.
Another factor that can make it harder to get a good night’s sleep is using your bed for too many things. Beds are meant to be used for very few things and your main association with the bed should be sleep. If you use your bed for things like watching TV or Reading, you start to associate it with those things and this can make it more difficult to get the recommended amount of sleep, which is 7-9 hours for most adults.
DOs and DON’Ts for building healthy sleep habits:
- Expose yourself to sunlight in the morning.
- Keep a consistent sleep schedule, even on days off.
- Avoid napping.
- Exercise daily.
- Keep your room somewhat cool.
- Give yourself time to unwind before bed. One hour of a relaxing activity such as reading is recommended. Avoid Phones, Computers and TVs.
- Expose yourself to bright light, especially blue lights, in the evenings.
- Drink alcohol before bed.
- Drink caffeine in the hours before you go to bed.
- Eat a big meal right before bed.
- Watch TV, read your phone, tablet, or books, or listen to music while in bed.
- Participate in stimulating activities before you go to bed.
Sleep pain is likely the result of a lack of proper support. This can mean anything from your mattress or pillow being worn out, to just not being the right fit for how you sleep.
1. Back Pain – Most often caused by a worn out mattress that is no longer capable of providing you with the support you need. Like slumping at your desk or while watching tv, slumping will likely cause back pain; preventing you from getting a full night’s sleep and contributing to back pain. As coils age they lose their ability to bounce back from weight being put on them night after night, resulting in a slumping mattress as they don’t have the same rigidity they once had, and need, in order to properly function.
This slumping doesn’t just apply to coil mattresses though, the same slumping issue is also true of foam mattresses. Slumping in foam mattresses is often easy to diagnose as the mattress will show visible signs of slumping while coil mattresses may not. To find the perfect mattress for your perfect night’s sleep come see our experts!
2. Neck Pain – Unlike back pain, neck pain is most commonly caused by your pillow, not your mattress. The pillow’s responsibility is to align your neck with your spine while you sleep. There are two key factors that go into why your pillow may have become a pain for your neck. The first is that the pillow has simply become worn out.
The other key factor to consider with your neck pain is did you select the right type of pillow for how you sleep? Depending on if you’re a side, back, or stomach sleeper the perfect pillow for you will change. Even the most expensive pillow can leave you waking up with pain in your neck if it doesn’t fit your sleep style. To find the perfect pillow for you, come see our experts!
Have questions about what might be causing your pain? We’re here to help! And keep following us for more info on sleep health and the importance of mattresses in the sleep equation! Ready to shop for your new mattress so you can get the best night’s sleep possible? Visit us HERE.
Why is it important to have healthy sleep habits and the right mattress?
Everything you do on a daily basis is impacted by how well, or poorly, you sleep. Finding the right mattress and pillow for you and building healthy sleep habits can impact everything from aches and pains, to how productive you are at work, to what kind of mood you’re in. Getting a full night’s sleep can make it easier to cut out that extra cup of coffee or energy drink you may rely on every day.
How Do You Sleep?
How you sleep is a huge part of finding a mattress that is not only comfortable but also instrumental in ensuring you wake up every morning feeling refreshed and without aches or pains.
Side Sleeper- If you’re a side sleeper you will likely find your best night’s sleep on a softer mattress that allows your hip to sink into the mattress a little bit. This give from the mattress allows your hip to drop down a bit and allows your spine to properly align.
Back Sleeper- If you’re a back sleeper you will likely find your best night’s sleep on a softer mattress that allows your shoulders and hips to sink in a little bit and allow your spine to properly align. If a mattress is too firm you will likely feel uncomfortable points of pressure similar to the pain many of us feel after sitting in a car for a long drive.
Stomach Sleeper- If you’re a stomach sleeper then your best night’s sleep will likely come from a firmer mattress. Unlike back and side sleeper’s you’re already putting yourself in a position where your spine is aligned. This means that a mattress with more give will actually cause your spine to slump a bit which could lead to you waking up with back pain.
We’ll have more blogs on sleep health and how the importance of mattresses in the sleep equation, so make sure you continue to drop by on the reg! And if you’re ready to shop for your new mattress so you can get the best night’s sleep possible, simply visit us HERE.
Do you like choices? Of course you do! We all like choices in life, so this spring we’ve decided to offer you TWO great offers! If you choose Door #1, you get 50% off your purchase (yes, you read that right – ½ off!). If you choose Door #2, you get 5 years of interest-free financing! Oohhh….decisions, decisions….which one will you choose?
Valentine’s Day is right around the corner! What are you getting for your loved ones? Flowers die and chocolate quickly disappears, so why not get your Valentine something special, long-lasting, and that they’ll appreciate for years to come? We know that on the surface a TV console or bookcase may not seem like the most romantic gift in the world, but love is more than just saying, “I love you”, it’s how you show you care. So instead of getting your wife another cute figurine for Valentine’s Day this year, get her a curio cabinet to put all those figurines in! If your husband has been complaining that his back is hurting every day after work, a massaging armchair might just be the thing. How about a nifty bookcase for your book loving kid in college? The possibilities are endless AND they’re unique (not to mention reasonably priced).
We’ve been serving the Roxbury Township, Morris, Warren and Sussex County and Northern New Jersey areas for over 50 years. Our customers value us for our large selection, beautiful showroom, fair prices and immediate delivery. Still family owned after 50 years we are committed to providing a unique, family friendly, comfortable place to shop for your home. Our caring staff, combined with affordable, in-stock furniture will help you furnish your home in hours, not months. Drop by one of our showrooms today or visit us online to see what kind of bedroom perfection we can help you create!
The year has barely begun and we’ve already got savings galore! How? Because our most popular sales event, our Winter Sale, is happening now, just in time for the indoor season! What IS the Winter Sale you ask? Oh, just everything in the store being ½ off, is all. No really, we’re not joking. Take a look below!
Don’t like what you see in the store? Not a problem – we can custom order whatever you’d like! Our passion for pattern and color will infuse your home with style. We believe in offering great value to our customers, which means a great selection of high quality furniture at fair prices and attentive service including our custom order capabilities. We offer hundreds of fabrics including luxurious leather in colors that will span your imagination. Local family ownership works alongside our employees to make sure you get the expert custom-order service and customer care you expect: from the selecting process all the way through to white-glove delivery on our own trucks.
Walking through the Suburban Furniture doors gets you one step closer to your perfectly designed home. Drop by one of our several stores or browse our online selection today!
Happy Thanksgiving from the Suburban Furniture gang!
We want to take this opportunity to thank you for letting us serve the Roxbury Township, Morris, Warren and Sussex County and Northern New Jersey areas over the past 50+ years. Customers like YOU are what make this job so amazing and we couldn’t do this without you!
Because our community has treated us so well over the years, we like to give back to our community through support. We belong to the local, state and national Chambers of Commerce. We have contributed to local charities and charitable functions, including the Roxbury and Randolph schools, local churches, Rotary Club, Knights of Columbus, youth sports teams, the Morris County College scholarship fund, Market Street Mission, the Salvation Army, and St. Clare’s Hospital, just to name a few. We have also sponsored Child Safety Day here at the store with the Roxbury Police for several years. It’s our way to show how much we appreciate you guys – you are wonderful!
We hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving (or Friendsgiving) day with your family and friends!
Ready for some fun? How about a new sofa? Well, we’ve got both. That’s right – we’re having our first Ugly Sofa Contest! How’s it work? All YOU have to do is submit a photo of your ugly sofa that needs replacing. Next, we’ll put them all on Facebook and have the world vote for the ugliest of them all. The winner gets $700 in store credit towards the purchase of a new sofa! What could be easier? Here’s the deets:
1. To be eligible, you must live within 50 miles of one of our Suburban Furniture stores.
2. You must like and share this status.
3. Send in 2-4 photos of your sofa to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include your name and contact info in the email!
4. Entries accepted through 8/25/16. The earlier you enter the earlier the world can start voting for your UGLY SOFA.
5. Voting open from 8/25/16 to 9/05/16.
RULES TO VOTE:
1. If you are not already a fan, click the “LIKE” button at the top of our page.
2. Go to the Photos Tab and click the “UGLY SOFA CONTEST” Album.
3. Vote for your favorite “Ugly Sofa” by clicking the “LIKE” button under the photo.
4. Invite All Your Friends and Family to Our Facebook page to vote for their favorite.
5. The photo with the most likes by MIDNIGHT EST 9/05/16 Wins $700.00 toward the purchase of a New Sofa at Suburban Furniture.