During an April 2017 survey, 40 percent of internet users in the United States stated that they purchased items online at several times per month, and 20 percent said they bought items or services online on a weekly basis. Online shopping is becoming more and more convenient for people (though personally, we still prefer our brick & mortar stores!). There are still a few things, however, that people are wary of purchasing online with furniture being one of them. We’ve got a few tips here that will make shopping online for furniture seem less risky and much easier!
- Read the furniture description. People sometimes have a habit of simply scanning descriptions because they’ve looked at the photo of the piece and think, “okay, I’ve got it!”. But this is where you’ll find info on durability, construction, and instructions for cleaning the furniture, as well as measurements.
- Measure, measure, measure! We cannot stress this one enough – measuring is the most important component of buying furniture, period. It’s even more crucial when buying online. You won’t be seeing the furniture in a store and figuring out how it will look in your space that way, so your measuring skills need to be SOLID. Use measured-out painter’s tape or string to build a layout of how the piece will look in your home (remember to add extra space for items such as recliners that expand). And if your furniture comes pre-assembled, don’t forget to measure doorways!
- Read reviews. The furniture store will make this piece of furniture look its absolute best because that’s their job, but the ones who will know how the furniture actually looks and feels and works will be people who have already purchased. Read A LOT of reviews when considering a piece. A negative review here and there is no big, but several bad reviews in a row should make one wary.
- Wait before you buy. Why? Because the store might have a sale coming up that will make the piece cheaper or you might be able to drop by their physical store to grab a coupon of some kind. You might even be able to shop around and find the same piece for less somewhere else. We’re just saying impulse control is a good thing for your wallet!
- Check the return policy. Big one here because if that furniture piece DOESN’T work out for some reason, you’re gonna want to return it. So check out the store’s return policy top to bottom and email them if you have ANY questions about it. Some things to look for: a) Is there a time limit to their return policy? b) Do return items need to be in their original packaging? c) Is there a restocking fee? d) What will you need to do to return the item? and e) When can you expect to receive your refund after return?
Buying furniture online doesn’t have to feel like a big gamble; it can be as simple and risk-free as ordering that book from Amazon. And with Suburban Furniture it’s always simple and risk-free because we focus on customer service and are here to help you out from start to finish. Drop by our website to get a taste of what we have, then get to decorating!
Life is full of choices – cat or dog; apple or orange; yes or no – some good, some bad. We have a choice for you to make right now that is nothing BUT good! Would you rather have 50% off your purchase or 5 years interest-free financing? (*some restrictions may apply to both offers) Now THAT is a great way to start off spring 2018 and your spring cleaning/home makeover, right?
Also keep in mind, should you not find your perfect furniture choice in-store, we’ll custom order it for you! We offer hundreds of fabrics in colors that span the imagination! We also have a design team ready to help you design the perfect room if that’s what you need. And if you’re looking to buy for yourself AND a pet, we have great tips on how to do so HERE. Essentially, we’ve got you covered from all angles. So. Which choice are you making?
If you’re the proud parent of a furbaby, you have some extra things to keep in mind when shopping for furniture like “will my cat approve of this or will he/she turn up their nose?”, lol. We adore animals as much as the next person but we do recognize they bring unique challenges with them – scratching, licking, fur everywhere. We’ve gathered some tips to help you purchase the best furniture for both you AND your pet, so that everyone is happy!
Know thy pet. Different pets have different habits and quirks. Your cat may scratch everything in sight while your dog may shed like a fiend. These things are good to know when buying furniture. Knowing this and more will help you correctly identify which kind of fabric to pick for sofas and chairs.
Speaking of fabric…Choosing the right fabric to go on your furniture will be the most important decision you make – choose wisely! Leather, distressed leathers, and synthetic fabrics are, in most cases, the best choices for pets. Microfiber, Ultrasuede and Crypton are also good choices as they’re stain-resistant and easy to clean. Avoid tweed, chenille, velvet, and silks as they’ll be utterly destroyed by nails or licks.
Also helpful? Choose a fabric that matches your pet so pet hair is more easily hidden. Patterns are particularly good for this. Of course, weigh this against how the color will actually look as a design choice (ie will it go with the rest of the room?) and use your best judgement overall.
Keep things out of reach. Sometimes our furry friends want what’s not theirs or are just accident-prone and knock things over. Keep things out of reach when possible (it’s easier than it sounds!). In the kitchen, try large stools to deter small dogs (and often large breeds) from getting on chairs or tables. If your cat is jumping from another area to where you don’t want him, block the area with a sturdy plant or decoration the cat can’t knock over.
Keep sharp edges to a minimum. Like small children, animals (especially younger ones) often have boundless energy and love to play. Chances are they’re going to run into things every now and then – I nearly got a helmet for my kitten when she was months old, no joke, because she kept hitting things with her head; it was terrible. If you have a rounded coffee table vs a rectangular, there’s less chance your pupper is going to be bruised when he goes skidding into while chasing the cat.
Break up space! Ottomans and other small furniture pieces can be used to block off areas you’d rather your pet not stray into (like near a breakable vase). If your pup can’t get through easily, your breakables are less likely to get knocked over by a stray tail-wag.
Make your pet their own little home within a home. Make your pet their own little corner and they’re less likely to come hang out in your area. It can be as simple as a cat tree for the kittehs or an awesome dog bed for the puppy (or you can go super-elaborate if you really want!). Giving pets their own space to scratch away at or lick or fuzz up = less incentive to do it elsewhere.
Believe us, it’s absolutely possible to have beautiful furniture AND pets. Head over to our website to ask us any questions you have about buying pet-friendly furniture or drop by one of our stores today to talk to any of our knowledgeable sales people!
Spring is right around the corner and boy are we excited! Spring is one of our favorite times of year because it’s a time of renewal and change (also cleaning, lots of spring cleaning). It’s also a time for giving your home a fresh new look – why should you be the only one to get a new spring look? Here are some tips we’ve chosen for this spring to make your house look fabulous!
Make what’s old new again by reupholstering your furniture. It’s a fairly inexpensive way to change things up while somewhat designing the look yourself. And did we mention that we do custom upholstery?
Go floral. Faux floral, that is. Flowers are never out of style come spring and fresh flowers are the BEST but faux flowers require less upkeep and look just as good. Just burn a candle for that fresh floral scent.
Replace your curtains. Another spring style staple that’s quick, easy, and inexpensive. Swapping out curtains can make a major aesthetic impact on your space, depending on the color, style and texture you use.
Go for the gold! Gilded accents are totally in and having gold-tinted accents around your home will make it look shiny & new (plus catch lots of sunshine if you have them in the right place!).
Give your space a focal point. Does your living room or bedroom lack focus? Do you walk in and find that your eyes just sweep over everything without landing on any particular thing? Give your eyes a place to rest by investing in a piece of furniture that stands out from the rest in either color or shape!
Quietly quirky. Everyone loves a little quirk in their life and a simple way to add some to yours is by getting a quirky light fixture. It can be the only change you make to your room and can still change the whole dynamic & draw attention! Plus, fun!
Make it pop. Spring is all about vibrancy so make sure your home has some bright colors in it. Whether it’s a brightly colored pillow, flowers, wall art, or whatever, nothing will say “spring” more than this.
Paint the bedroom to sleep better. Yep, that’s right. No scientific studies or anything here but think about the places where you’ve slept the best (was it a hotel room? Your bff’s bedroom? Your parents’?) and paint your bedroom the same color. It might help you catch more winks!
Change the hardware. Another super easy, quick, and inexpensive way to redecorate for spring is to switch out the knobs and drawer pulls on your kitchen and/or bath cabinets. It’s an instant noticeable switch that will change things up for the better. Go wild and live it up!
Go green. Bring the outdoors indoors. Spruce things up with some plants (if you have pets though always check to see if the plants are pet-friendly!). Grow fresh herbs for cooking in your window. What better way to make your house look like spring?
Giving your house a fresh look for the spring season is easier than you think and we can help you out with dozens of ideas. Just drop by, email, check out our online catalog, or give us a call at (973) 927-7100 and we’ll be ready to give you a hand with your home’s facelift!
It’s the holiday season once again which means tons of gatherings, oodles of funs, reindeers, eggnog, and for a majority of people the fine art of gift-giving (and gift-buying, ha). Even though it’s technically a bit early, we couldn’t wait any longer to reveal our gift for all of you – this holiday season our gift to you is FIVE full YEARS INTEREST-FREE financing! (You guys deserve nothing but the best, trust us!) Whether you use our gift to make your home a little homier or regift it by purchasing a gift for another, we know you’ll use it well. This offer does end December 17th though, so hurry in!
Fall = lounging late in pjs, curling up with good books and coffee, and marathon Netflix binges as the weather gets chillier. For that you’ll need the perfect recliner! Luckily, there are so many types and features on recliners these days that you’ll have no problem finding your perfect fit. Get comfy while take a look at all the options available!
First, you’ll need to chose the type of recliner you want. There are 3 types to choose from: standard, high-leg, and lift. The standard recliner is just as it sounds – the typical recliner you know that moves into 2 or 3 positions. High-leg recliners are a bit more stylish than the standard and because most have a pushback feature, it means no visible handle for a cleaner look. And finally, the lift recliner not only reclines but lifts you from a sitting position to a standing position.
After you choose your type, next come the features (the fun part!). Mostly you’ll find these 8 features:
1. Rocker or Glider Base – has a motion feature so you can rock.
2. Swivel Base – allows you to turn in all directions.
3. Massage – (our personal fave!) grab a massage while you catch up on “Game of Thrones”; can come with or without a heat feature.
4. Big & Tall – extra large recliners designed to hold more weight than the average recliner.
5. Wall Hugger – if you live in a tiny space, this feature is for you; allows you to place the recliner much closer to the wall, only a few inches, to save space.
6. Lay flat – if you’re constantly falling asleep in your recliner, you need this; reclines to a flat position.
7. Built-in USB Charger – yes, really.
8. Power – with this feature you don’t have to worry with levers or handles, just push a button and you’re on your way to relaxation.
There are, of course, other options to decide when picking your amazing, wonderful recliner like the size of your space, whether it’s pet-friendly, and what kind of fabric you want. But with so many choices, it’d be hard to go wrong! Drop by your local Suburban Furniture today to get yours!
We’ve been talking about the importance of healthy sleep lately (are you better rested yet?). Now that you know the basics of good sleep, what’s the next step? Finding the perfect mattress, of course! You spend a lot of time in bed, so it is important to choose a mattress that will help you get the best night’s sleep possible. Mattress size will be a major factor in your decision, but there are several other things to consider while you browse for the ideal mattress for your bedroom—room size, the amount of sleeping space you require, and a person’s height to name a few. Let’s take a look at some mattress info!
Also known as a “single” mattress. Great in children’s rooms and smaller bedrooms. A narrow bed that is easy to move and fits almost anywhere.
Approx. width per person: 39″
- Pros: Fits in smaller bedrooms. Sheets are less expensive than for other sized beds.
- Cons: Too short for many adults.
Five inches longer than the standard twin and typically used in college dorms. Easy to move from room to room and great for taller teens.
Approx. width per person: 39″
- Pros: Longer length is great for taller teens and adults.
- Cons: Bedding can be harder to find and available patterns may be limited.
Sometimes called a “Double” mattress. Wider than a twin, but still limits sleeping space for two adults.
Approx. width per person: 27″
- Pros: Fits into smaller rooms. Sheets are less expensive than queen or king size.
- Cons: Considered by many to be too narrow for two adults. At 75″ in length, may be too short for some.
Longer and wider than a full, a queen is more accommodating for two adults. A good choice for smaller master bedrooms.
Approx. width per person: 30″
- Pros: Better fit for two adults. Plenty of length for most adults. Bedding is easy to find.
- Cons: Only slightly more sleeping width per person than a full. Some bedding is sold as “Full/Queen” and may not perfectly fit either size.
Sometimes referred to as an “Eastern King” and offers the same width per person as a twin. A king mattress uses two twin extra long sized box springs.
Approx. width per person: 39″
- Pros: Widest standard bed available. Comfortably sleeps 2 adults. Sheets are easy to find.
- Cons: Large size makes it difficult to fit up stairs and into smaller rooms. Bedding is more expensive than other standard sizes.
Also known as a “Western King” mattress. This may be the preferred choice of taller adults and adds a foot in width and four inches in length to the standard queen.
Approx. width per person: 36″
- Pros: More length to accommodate a taller person. Ample width for two adults.
- Cons: Challenging to move up and down stairs and from room to room. Bedding is expensive in king sizes. Sheets are more available on the West Coast and may be difficult to find in other parts of the country.
Now that you’re armed with the info you need to make the most informed decision, it’s time to shop for and try out mattresses! Bounce on over to Suburban for the most knowledgeable sales staff AND take advantage of our Fourth of July sale! Up to 67% off furniture & more storewide, interest-free until 2022, plus instant free delivery rebate – to say it’s all a bargain would be an understatement. This sale won’t last forever, so stop by soon!
Are you waking up not feeling refreshed but not struggling with pain? Your lack of sleep may be the result of something other than your mattress or pillow! Things such as light exposure can both positively or negatively affect your ability to fall asleep depending on how much exposure you’re getting, when you’re getting it, and what type of light exposure you’re getting.
Another factor that can make it harder to get a good night’s sleep is using your bed for too many things. Beds are meant to be used for very few things and your main association with the bed should be sleep. If you use your bed for things like watching TV or Reading, you start to associate it with those things and this can make it more difficult to get the recommended amount of sleep, which is 7-9 hours for most adults.
DOs and DON’Ts for building healthy sleep habits:
- Expose yourself to sunlight in the morning.
- Keep a consistent sleep schedule, even on days off.
- Avoid napping.
- Exercise daily.
- Keep your room somewhat cool.
- Give yourself time to unwind before bed. One hour of a relaxing activity such as reading is recommended. Avoid Phones, Computers and TVs.
- Expose yourself to bright light, especially blue lights, in the evenings.
- Drink alcohol before bed.
- Drink caffeine in the hours before you go to bed.
- Eat a big meal right before bed.
- Watch TV, read your phone, tablet, or books, or listen to music while in bed.
- Participate in stimulating activities before you go to bed.