Spring is right around the corner and boy are we excited! Spring is one of our favorite times of year because it’s a time of renewal and change (also cleaning, lots of spring cleaning). It’s also a time for giving your home a fresh new look – why should you be the only one to get a new spring look? Here are some tips we’ve chosen for this spring to make your house look fabulous!
Make what’s old new again by reupholstering your furniture. It’s a fairly inexpensive way to change things up while somewhat designing the look yourself. And did we mention that we do custom upholstery?
Go floral. Faux floral, that is. Flowers are never out of style come spring and fresh flowers are the BEST but faux flowers require less upkeep and look just as good. Just burn a candle for that fresh floral scent.
Replace your curtains. Another spring style staple that’s quick, easy, and inexpensive. Swapping out curtains can make a major aesthetic impact on your space, depending on the color, style and texture you use.
Go for the gold! Gilded accents are totally in and having gold-tinted accents around your home will make it look shiny & new (plus catch lots of sunshine if you have them in the right place!).
Give your space a focal point. Does your living room or bedroom lack focus? Do you walk in and find that your eyes just sweep over everything without landing on any particular thing? Give your eyes a place to rest by investing in a piece of furniture that stands out from the rest in either color or shape!
Quietly quirky. Everyone loves a little quirk in their life and a simple way to add some to yours is by getting a quirky light fixture. It can be the only change you make to your room and can still change the whole dynamic & draw attention! Plus, fun!
Make it pop. Spring is all about vibrancy so make sure your home has some bright colors in it. Whether it’s a brightly colored pillow, flowers, wall art, or whatever, nothing will say “spring” more than this.
Paint the bedroom to sleep better. Yep, that’s right. No scientific studies or anything here but think about the places where you’ve slept the best (was it a hotel room? Your bff’s bedroom? Your parents’?) and paint your bedroom the same color. It might help you catch more winks!
Change the hardware. Another super easy, quick, and inexpensive way to redecorate for spring is to switch out the knobs and drawer pulls on your kitchen and/or bath cabinets. It’s an instant noticeable switch that will change things up for the better. Go wild and live it up!
Go green. Bring the outdoors indoors. Spruce things up with some plants (if you have pets though always check to see if the plants are pet-friendly!). Grow fresh herbs for cooking in your window. What better way to make your house look like spring?
Giving your house a fresh look for the spring season is easier than you think and we can help you out with dozens of ideas. Just drop by, email, check out our online catalog, or give us a call at (973) 927-7100 and we’ll be ready to give you a hand with your home’s facelift!
It’s the holiday season once again which means tons of gatherings, oodles of funs, reindeers, eggnog, and for a majority of people the fine art of gift-giving (and gift-buying, ha). Even though it’s technically a bit early, we couldn’t wait any longer to reveal our gift for all of you – this holiday season our gift to you is FIVE full YEARS INTEREST-FREE financing! (You guys deserve nothing but the best, trust us!) Whether you use our gift to make your home a little homier or regift it by purchasing a gift for another, we know you’ll use it well. This offer does end December 17th though, so hurry in!
Fall = lounging late in pjs, curling up with good books and coffee, and marathon Netflix binges as the weather gets chillier. For that you’ll need the perfect recliner! Luckily, there are so many types and features on recliners these days that you’ll have no problem finding your perfect fit. Get comfy while take a look at all the options available!
First, you’ll need to chose the type of recliner you want. There are 3 types to choose from: standard, high-leg, and lift. The standard recliner is just as it sounds – the typical recliner you know that moves into 2 or 3 positions. High-leg recliners are a bit more stylish than the standard and because most have a pushback feature, it means no visible handle for a cleaner look. And finally, the lift recliner not only reclines but lifts you from a sitting position to a standing position.
After you choose your type, next come the features (the fun part!). Mostly you’ll find these 8 features:
1. Rocker or Glider Base – has a motion feature so you can rock.
2. Swivel Base – allows you to turn in all directions.
3. Massage – (our personal fave!) grab a massage while you catch up on “Game of Thrones”; can come with or without a heat feature.
4. Big & Tall – extra large recliners designed to hold more weight than the average recliner.
5. Wall Hugger – if you live in a tiny space, this feature is for you; allows you to place the recliner much closer to the wall, only a few inches, to save space.
6. Lay flat – if you’re constantly falling asleep in your recliner, you need this; reclines to a flat position.
7. Built-in USB Charger – yes, really.
8. Power – with this feature you don’t have to worry with levers or handles, just push a button and you’re on your way to relaxation.
There are, of course, other options to decide when picking your amazing, wonderful recliner like the size of your space, whether it’s pet-friendly, and what kind of fabric you want. But with so many choices, it’d be hard to go wrong! Drop by your local Suburban Furniture today to get yours!
We’ve been talking about the importance of healthy sleep lately (are you better rested yet?). Now that you know the basics of good sleep, what’s the next step? Finding the perfect mattress, of course! You spend a lot of time in bed, so it is important to choose a mattress that will help you get the best night’s sleep possible. Mattress size will be a major factor in your decision, but there are several other things to consider while you browse for the ideal mattress for your bedroom—room size, the amount of sleeping space you require, and a person’s height to name a few. Let’s take a look at some mattress info!
Also known as a “single” mattress. Great in children’s rooms and smaller bedrooms. A narrow bed that is easy to move and fits almost anywhere.
Approx. width per person: 39″
- Pros: Fits in smaller bedrooms. Sheets are less expensive than for other sized beds.
- Cons: Too short for many adults.
Five inches longer than the standard twin and typically used in college dorms. Easy to move from room to room and great for taller teens.
Approx. width per person: 39″
- Pros: Longer length is great for taller teens and adults.
- Cons: Bedding can be harder to find and available patterns may be limited.
Sometimes called a “Double” mattress. Wider than a twin, but still limits sleeping space for two adults.
Approx. width per person: 27″
- Pros: Fits into smaller rooms. Sheets are less expensive than queen or king size.
- Cons: Considered by many to be too narrow for two adults. At 75″ in length, may be too short for some.
Longer and wider than a full, a queen is more accommodating for two adults. A good choice for smaller master bedrooms.
Approx. width per person: 30″
- Pros: Better fit for two adults. Plenty of length for most adults. Bedding is easy to find.
- Cons: Only slightly more sleeping width per person than a full. Some bedding is sold as “Full/Queen” and may not perfectly fit either size.
Sometimes referred to as an “Eastern King” and offers the same width per person as a twin. A king mattress uses two twin extra long sized box springs.
Approx. width per person: 39″
- Pros: Widest standard bed available. Comfortably sleeps 2 adults. Sheets are easy to find.
- Cons: Large size makes it difficult to fit up stairs and into smaller rooms. Bedding is more expensive than other standard sizes.
Also known as a “Western King” mattress. This may be the preferred choice of taller adults and adds a foot in width and four inches in length to the standard queen.
Approx. width per person: 36″
- Pros: More length to accommodate a taller person. Ample width for two adults.
- Cons: Challenging to move up and down stairs and from room to room. Bedding is expensive in king sizes. Sheets are more available on the West Coast and may be difficult to find in other parts of the country.
Now that you’re armed with the info you need to make the most informed decision, it’s time to shop for and try out mattresses! Bounce on over to Suburban for the most knowledgeable sales staff AND take advantage of our Fourth of July sale! Up to 67% off furniture & more storewide, interest-free until 2022, plus instant free delivery rebate – to say it’s all a bargain would be an understatement. This sale won’t last forever, so stop by soon!
Are you waking up not feeling refreshed but not struggling with pain? Your lack of sleep may be the result of something other than your mattress or pillow! Things such as light exposure can both positively or negatively affect your ability to fall asleep depending on how much exposure you’re getting, when you’re getting it, and what type of light exposure you’re getting.
Another factor that can make it harder to get a good night’s sleep is using your bed for too many things. Beds are meant to be used for very few things and your main association with the bed should be sleep. If you use your bed for things like watching TV or Reading, you start to associate it with those things and this can make it more difficult to get the recommended amount of sleep, which is 7-9 hours for most adults.
DOs and DON’Ts for building healthy sleep habits:
- Expose yourself to sunlight in the morning.
- Keep a consistent sleep schedule, even on days off.
- Avoid napping.
- Exercise daily.
- Keep your room somewhat cool.
- Give yourself time to unwind before bed. One hour of a relaxing activity such as reading is recommended. Avoid Phones, Computers and TVs.
- Expose yourself to bright light, especially blue lights, in the evenings.
- Drink alcohol before bed.
- Drink caffeine in the hours before you go to bed.
- Eat a big meal right before bed.
- Watch TV, read your phone, tablet, or books, or listen to music while in bed.
- Participate in stimulating activities before you go to bed.
Sleep pain is likely the result of a lack of proper support. This can mean anything from your mattress or pillow being worn out, to just not being the right fit for how you sleep.
1. Back Pain – Most often caused by a worn out mattress that is no longer capable of providing you with the support you need. Like slumping at your desk or while watching tv, slumping will likely cause back pain; preventing you from getting a full night’s sleep and contributing to back pain. As coils age they lose their ability to bounce back from weight being put on them night after night, resulting in a slumping mattress as they don’t have the same rigidity they once had, and need, in order to properly function.
This slumping doesn’t just apply to coil mattresses though, the same slumping issue is also true of foam mattresses. Slumping in foam mattresses is often easy to diagnose as the mattress will show visible signs of slumping while coil mattresses may not. To find the perfect mattress for your perfect night’s sleep come see our experts!
2. Neck Pain – Unlike back pain, neck pain is most commonly caused by your pillow, not your mattress. The pillow’s responsibility is to align your neck with your spine while you sleep. There are two key factors that go into why your pillow may have become a pain for your neck. The first is that the pillow has simply become worn out.
The other key factor to consider with your neck pain is did you select the right type of pillow for how you sleep? Depending on if you’re a side, back, or stomach sleeper the perfect pillow for you will change. Even the most expensive pillow can leave you waking up with pain in your neck if it doesn’t fit your sleep style. To find the perfect pillow for you, come see our experts!
Have questions about what might be causing your pain? We’re here to help! And keep following us for more info on sleep health and the importance of mattresses in the sleep equation! Ready to shop for your new mattress so you can get the best night’s sleep possible? Visit us HERE.
Don’t just spring clean this year – clean UP with our Spring Clean Up Sale! You can give your entire home a new look this spring for only PENNIES a day AND get interest-free financing until 2022! Has that spring cleaning bug bitten you now? So get a new, cozy loveseat; or a mattress that helps you sleep better; the perfect desk for your teen; or a fabulous TV stand for that new screen you got over the holidays. (Real talk – at these prices, you can get them ALL!) Drop by our website or one of our convenient locations today to chat with our friendly sales support and stock up for the entire year.
Why is it important to have healthy sleep habits and the right mattress?
Everything you do on a daily basis is impacted by how well, or poorly, you sleep. Finding the right mattress and pillow for you and building healthy sleep habits can impact everything from aches and pains, to how productive you are at work, to what kind of mood you’re in. Getting a full night’s sleep can make it easier to cut out that extra cup of coffee or energy drink you may rely on every day.
How Do You Sleep?
How you sleep is a huge part of finding a mattress that is not only comfortable but also instrumental in ensuring you wake up every morning feeling refreshed and without aches or pains.
Side Sleeper- If you’re a side sleeper you will likely find your best night’s sleep on a softer mattress that allows your hip to sink into the mattress a little bit. This give from the mattress allows your hip to drop down a bit and allows your spine to properly align.
Back Sleeper- If you’re a back sleeper you will likely find your best night’s sleep on a softer mattress that allows your shoulders and hips to sink in a little bit and allow your spine to properly align. If a mattress is too firm you will likely feel uncomfortable points of pressure similar to the pain many of us feel after sitting in a car for a long drive.
Stomach Sleeper- If you’re a stomach sleeper then your best night’s sleep will likely come from a firmer mattress. Unlike back and side sleeper’s you’re already putting yourself in a position where your spine is aligned. This means that a mattress with more give will actually cause your spine to slump a bit which could lead to you waking up with back pain.
We’ll have more blogs on sleep health and how the importance of mattresses in the sleep equation, so make sure you continue to drop by on the reg! And if you’re ready to shop for your new mattress so you can get the best night’s sleep possible, simply visit us HERE.