Monthly Archives: February 2013
Posted by suburbanfurniture
What To Do First When Decorating
You’ve read our blogs and you’ve stopped by our store and you’re ready to start redecorating your home! Maybe you’ve already picked out the perfect furniture or maybe you’re still deciding. Either way there are a few things you should know when you’re redecorating – where to start, what to do first and a host of other tips you should know.
Just starting your redecorating journey? First, you need to identify the major problems and major areas you want to work on. Next, set your budget. Follow this up by considering the scope of your project – how large or small it may be and how much time it will take. Finally decide your decorating style (we gave you tips on how to do just that in a previous blog!) and remember that YOU are the boss! Now it’s time to have fun!
Once you’ve done all that, it’s time to find some inspiration. Start slowly and figure out what you really want. Seek out places, people and things that you adore. A great way to find inspiration is to view model homes or decorator show houses. These show houses feature the work of talented interior designers and showcase their style and sense of design. Watch design shows on television and visit home improvement websites to find what draws you in. Visit museums and antique stores. Research design magazines and design books – you can find inspiration anywhere you turn!
And finally a few dos of decorating:
- Sketch your floor plan before you start.
- Do identify the focal point of the room (a fireplace, a view, a bed, an armoire).
- Do define a room’s style in writing, being specific. (Not just “country French”, but “French Country with a rooster motif, chicken wire cupboard fronts, and a color scheme that includes black and gold.”)
- Do coordinate fabric and flooring choices before making any major purchases, and before choosing exact paint colors.
And some don’ts:
- Don’t let someone make choices for you. Your home is your personal space. Don’t let someone else tell you what you should do.
- Don’t paint first. You can buy paint in every color under the sun. In fact, you can have paint mixed in any imaginable color you might want. Choose fabric, carpet, and upholstery first.
- Don’t let your furniture hug the walls. Don’t arrange the chairs, sofa, and tables all around the room unless you have no choice. Make groupings of furniture for conversations and pull pieces into the center of the room for a warmer feeling of comfort.
- Don’t settle for cheap. Don’t choose a piece of furniture because of a pretty cover or fun color. First, see if it’s well made, has interesting details or classic lines. If it does, you can always recover the upholstery in a fabric you choose or refinish the frame.
And finally (and most important) – have a great time recreating your home and life!