Before you know it 2020 will be here – is your home ready for a new year? Forget spring cleaning, now is the time to get your house in tip-top shape. Setting your home to rights is the perfect start to the new year and these tips will help you get ready. Read on and get a head start on a brand new year!
- Get your home ready for rough weather. December might be over and done with but there’s still a few months left of cold, snowy, icy weather. Get your home prepared for that by cleaning out gutters, weatherstripping exterior doors & windows to stop water & cold air from leaking in, and install surge protectors to make sure your electronics are safe during any storms.
- Clean your windows. The more sunshine you get inside during the winter months, the better. Deep cleaning your windows inside & out is essential. Wipe your windows down with rubbing alcohol after cleaning to make them shine even brighter!
- Go on a dusting spree. No one wants to start a new year with dust bunnies roaming around their home and making people sneeze. A thorough dusting & vacuuming session is vital to an allergy-free start to the brand new year.
- Streamline your stuff. One of the easiest & best ways to feel better about your home is to get rid of the clutter. It makes a WORLD of difference! It’s easy to accumulate stuff, but we often forget to get rid of the old stuff when we get the new. Go through each room of your home and clear out drawers & cabinets & closets, clean off counters & tabletops, and stash useful items (remotes, batteries, shoes) into some lovely baskets. Your home will thank you.
- Work out a weekly cleaning system. It’s easy to leave chores till the last minute; once dishes have piled up high enough in the sink that we can’t run the faucet, you’re kind of forced to do them or suffer consequences. But making an actual cleaning system will keep your home looking (and feeling) better. It doesn’t have to be elaborate – make sure dishes go in the dishwasher or are hand-washed every evening, make sure dirty clothes are immediately put into the hamper, try your best to bring things back to their assigned place when you’ve finished with them, focus on one type of cleaning at a time (don’t clean the entire living room, first dust everything in your home, then vacuum it all, then wipe down counters, etc – it makes cleaning go faster), and make a chore list so the whole family can pitch in!
- Make sure your home is safe. By making sure things are working properly in your home, you’ll keep your family that much safer. Check temperature & air-quality control devices and make sure they’re clean & in working order. Check your smoke & CO alarms and replace batteries if needed. Watch out for dryer lint – clean the lint trap every time you use your dryer & have your vents properly cleaned at least once a year. Make sure your family has a fire emergency plan with exits planned out. Finally, make sure you have a disaster kit on hand for storms that knock out the power for days & weeks at a time, etc.
- Lower your bills. Reducing your household costs is as easy as living a little greener. Turn off all lights when you leave the room, turn down the air/heat when you leave the house, turn off power strips when not in use and unplug appliances when not in use, and use insulation curtains to keep in heat or cool air.
The new year is the perfect time to get your home in a cleaner, safer state. It only takes a bit of time and you’ll be set!
From everyone at Suburban Furniture, we hope you have a happy & healthy New Year!