You’ve bought new furniture. You’ve gotten your new furniture home. Now you’re in your bedroom or living room or dining room, trying to place the pieces. You’ve tried 10 different arrangements already and nothing looks right or feels right. What gives? There are several common mistakes people make when arranging furniture in their home. Here we’ll take a look at a few of those.
- Did you measure the room before you bought the furniture? The number one common mistake people make is in not measuring the room before buying. New furniture is exciting, we absolutely agree but take the time to make sure that what you’re buying fits in your home.
- Are you balancing the room? If all of the big pieces are crowded to one side of the room, it will be off-balance horizontally. If much of the furniture is either too bottom-heavy or too top-heavy, a room will be off-balance vertically.
- How many focal points do you have? Often times, people will have more than one focal point which will throw off the room. If a huge art piece is your focal point, don’t have a huge television sitting across the room from it.
- A common home decorating mistake is placing all pieces of furniture against the wall. Homeowners mistakenly think that doing so will make the room look larger. You can make the room look larger by placing some of the pieces in groups in the middle of the room. Experiment with your furniture arrangement and settle for the one that is best aesthetically as well as functionally. Try to achieve an airy and spacious atmosphere by moving those chairs from the corners and trying out different arrangements.
- Make sure traffic can flow easily through the room. Don’t block doorways and make sure there’s plenty of space to walk around and through the room.
- Don’t try to do it all at once! Give yourself time to find what works best for you. There’s no need to rush through placing your furniture and it will still take you a couple of tries to find the perfect fit even with these tips.
If you’re ready for some new furniture to place in your home, drop by our website or show room today!