Category Archives: General
Summer is officially here and that means you’ll be using your outdoor living space more & more (we hope!). Patio furniture can sometimes get a bit…mundane with the metal tables and chairs and umbrellas however. We think you should live your best life indoors AND out, starting with creative furniture design. Here are a few great ideas if you’re feeling change in the air this season.
Bring your sofa outdoors. Okay, not REALLY, but get an outdoor sofa. It’s much more comfortable than metal or plastic chairs and will save room.
Don’t forget the coffee…table that is. If you have an outdoor sofa (or even if you don’t go that route), an outdoor coffee table can complete the look – especially if you use a little creativity. Match the great outdoors with a tree stump coffee table or swing the other way to ultra-modern. Whichever you choose, tables are a must for a fabulous outdoor gathering.
Organize your outdoor space with a cabinet or shelves. If you garden or work outdoors, you can neatly store your supplies in this space. If you don’t, you can use it for decorative purposes – think how lovely it would look to have a wall of flickering candles during a late night soiree!
If you’re lounging outdoors – reading a good book or just taking a nap – you’ll definitely want to prop up your feet. Grab an ottoman made for the outdoors and make yourself comfy.
If you really want a chair or two to complete your outdoor look, consider a rocking chair (especially if you have a porch!). There’s just something about gently rocking on the porch while engaged in long conversations that’s so perfectly summer.
If you want to get really creative, have a hanging bed in your backyard. Nights spent sleeping under the stars are some of the best and, besides, how cool is a hanging bed?
Be creative this summer with your outdoor living spaces. There’s so much you can do besides patio furniture or just a table + chairs. And if you’re still looking for that one perfect piece, stop by one of our stores or drop by our website – you’re sure to find it. Try one of the ideas above or find another piece of furniture that’s typically thought of as “indoor” that you could use outside as well and before you know it, you’ll have the coolest backyard on the block!
During an April 2017 survey, 40 percent of internet users in the United States stated that they purchased items online at several times per month, and 20 percent said they bought items or services online on a weekly basis. Online shopping is becoming more and more convenient for people (though personally, we still prefer our brick & mortar stores!). There are still a few things, however, that people are wary of purchasing online with furniture being one of them. We’ve got a few tips here that will make shopping online for furniture seem less risky and much easier!
- Read the furniture description. People sometimes have a habit of simply scanning descriptions because they’ve looked at the photo of the piece and think, “okay, I’ve got it!”. But this is where you’ll find info on durability, construction, and instructions for cleaning the furniture, as well as measurements.
- Measure, measure, measure! We cannot stress this one enough – measuring is the most important component of buying furniture, period. It’s even more crucial when buying online. You won’t be seeing the furniture in a store and figuring out how it will look in your space that way, so your measuring skills need to be SOLID. Use measured-out painter’s tape or string to build a layout of how the piece will look in your home (remember to add extra space for items such as recliners that expand). And if your furniture comes pre-assembled, don’t forget to measure doorways!
- Read reviews. The furniture store will make this piece of furniture look its absolute best because that’s their job, but the ones who will know how the furniture actually looks and feels and works will be people who have already purchased. Read A LOT of reviews when considering a piece. A negative review here and there is no big, but several bad reviews in a row should make one wary.
- Wait before you buy. Why? Because the store might have a sale coming up that will make the piece cheaper or you might be able to drop by their physical store to grab a coupon of some kind. You might even be able to shop around and find the same piece for less somewhere else. We’re just saying impulse control is a good thing for your wallet!
- Check the return policy. Big one here because if that furniture piece DOESN’T work out for some reason, you’re gonna want to return it. So check out the store’s return policy top to bottom and email them if you have ANY questions about it. Some things to look for: a) Is there a time limit to their return policy? b) Do return items need to be in their original packaging? c) Is there a restocking fee? d) What will you need to do to return the item? and e) When can you expect to receive your refund after return?
Buying furniture online doesn’t have to feel like a big gamble; it can be as simple and risk-free as ordering that book from Amazon. And with Suburban Furniture it’s always simple and risk-free because we focus on customer service and are here to help you out from start to finish. Drop by our website to get a taste of what we have, then get to decorating!
If you’re the proud parent of a furbaby, you have some extra things to keep in mind when shopping for furniture like “will my cat approve of this or will he/she turn up their nose?”, lol. We adore animals as much as the next person but we do recognize they bring unique challenges with them – scratching, licking, fur everywhere. We’ve gathered some tips to help you purchase the best furniture for both you AND your pet, so that everyone is happy!
Know thy pet. Different pets have different habits and quirks. Your cat may scratch everything in sight while your dog may shed like a fiend. These things are good to know when buying furniture. Knowing this and more will help you correctly identify which kind of fabric to pick for sofas and chairs.
Speaking of fabric…Choosing the right fabric to go on your furniture will be the most important decision you make – choose wisely! Leather, distressed leathers, and synthetic fabrics are, in most cases, the best choices for pets. Microfiber, Ultrasuede and Crypton are also good choices as they’re stain-resistant and easy to clean. Avoid tweed, chenille, velvet, and silks as they’ll be utterly destroyed by nails or licks.
Also helpful? Choose a fabric that matches your pet so pet hair is more easily hidden. Patterns are particularly good for this. Of course, weigh this against how the color will actually look as a design choice (ie will it go with the rest of the room?) and use your best judgement overall.
Keep things out of reach. Sometimes our furry friends want what’s not theirs or are just accident-prone and knock things over. Keep things out of reach when possible (it’s easier than it sounds!). In the kitchen, try large stools to deter small dogs (and often large breeds) from getting on chairs or tables. If your cat is jumping from another area to where you don’t want him, block the area with a sturdy plant or decoration the cat can’t knock over.
Keep sharp edges to a minimum. Like small children, animals (especially younger ones) often have boundless energy and love to play. Chances are they’re going to run into things every now and then – I nearly got a helmet for my kitten when she was months old, no joke, because she kept hitting things with her head; it was terrible. If you have a rounded coffee table vs a rectangular, there’s less chance your pupper is going to be bruised when he goes skidding into while chasing the cat.
Break up space! Ottomans and other small furniture pieces can be used to block off areas you’d rather your pet not stray into (like near a breakable vase). If your pup can’t get through easily, your breakables are less likely to get knocked over by a stray tail-wag.
Make your pet their own little home within a home. Make your pet their own little corner and they’re less likely to come hang out in your area. It can be as simple as a cat tree for the kittehs or an awesome dog bed for the puppy (or you can go super-elaborate if you really want!). Giving pets their own space to scratch away at or lick or fuzz up = less incentive to do it elsewhere.
Believe us, it’s absolutely possible to have beautiful furniture AND pets. Head over to our website to ask us any questions you have about buying pet-friendly furniture or drop by one of our stores today to talk to any of our knowledgeable sales people!
2018 will be here in just a few hours! Are you ready – perfect outfit picked out, plans made, and resolutions duly noted? What’s your top New Year’s resolution in 2018? We at Suburban Furniture plan on making 2018 a year all about YOU! Look for more savings, more great content on our website and here to help you with all your furniture needs, and more of the fabulous service you’ve come to expect from the gang at Suburban. We’re ready to make this the best year ever!
For now though, we want to leave you all with some thanks because without you we wouldn’t be able to do what we love. We really do have the most amazing customers and your loyalty & support throughout 2017 was greatly appreciated! You guys ROCK!
We’ll see you next year with great sales and exciting content! Till then stay safe, have fun, and happy new year!
Hey, we’re always telling you how awesome we are – how we have the best brands and greatest selection, how our customer service is top notch and our prices can’t be beat – but don’t just take our word for it! Listen to our customers and what they have to say – they’d know better than us, right? Here’s the word on the street:
My husband and I recently purchased a living room sectional and two recliner chairs, We are very pleased with our purchases. We had bought 2 recliners 18 months ago. They were terrible. They were difficult to use and did not stay in the reclining position. We spent a great deal of time at Suburban finding just the right one. Actually we had a couple that we were interested in, all American made. We are super happy with our choice. They are very comfortable, really soft micro fiber fabric. We were able to choose our fabric at no additional cost, plus we were able to have them made in swivel recliner style. Our sectional is exactly what we wanted. Elise spent a great deal of time with us helping us make our decision. The furniture was delivered at two different times and both sets of delivery men were very nice. Our driveway is 1/10th of a mile long and curvy. Both drivers backed down our driveway without going off on the side. Not an easy task at all. We will certainly return to Suburban for all of our furniture purchases! ~Sharon
Our delivery drivers are rock stars, are they not? And we’re so happy Elise was able to help you find the perfect furniture for your living room! Thanks so much for the kind words!
We purchased a king mattress, box spring, and frame from Margot Gaab yesterday evening. The choices, options, and the service were all above our expectations. The holiday sale and the knowledge of the sales staff made our purchase less painful than expected! Our mattress arrived this morning. We received an automatic phone call that told us the delivery truck was “ten minutes away.” Ten minutes later, two of the most efficient, professional truckers disassembled and removed our old bed. (And were gracious and patience and didn’t mind when we vacuumed under the bed!) Michael and Edwardo had the new bed set up, the old mattress and all the packing gone in minutes. We are extremely happy with the entire Suburban Furniture shopping experience. (A special shout-out to Gene, too!) ~Diane & Peter
Margot, Michael, Edwardo, & Gene all say THANK YOU! They were all extremely glad to be able to help out.
I recently purchased a house full of furniture for my new home. Debi and her husband Gene were so helpful with all of my selections. Everything looks great and fits perfectly. I was able to get the unique look that I was going for. All of the staff at Suburban are kind and friendly. The gentlemen delivering my furniture made it smooth and seamless. They were courteous, polite and efficient. Thanks to all! ~Teresa
No, thank YOU, Teresa! We know how important it is to get that specific look you want, especially in a brand-new home, and we’re so grateful we were able to help you achieve your vision!
Like we said, don’t take it from us. Take the word of all those happy customers (who particularly enjoyed our amazing delivery drivers!). We’re here to make your life a little simpler. Period. So let us.
Stop by our website or one of our convenient locations today to get started achieving your perfect dream home!
We’ve been talking about the importance of healthy sleep lately (are you better rested yet?). Now that you know the basics of good sleep, what’s the next step? Finding the perfect mattress, of course! You spend a lot of time in bed, so it is important to choose a mattress that will help you get the best night’s sleep possible. Mattress size will be a major factor in your decision, but there are several other things to consider while you browse for the ideal mattress for your bedroom—room size, the amount of sleeping space you require, and a person’s height to name a few. Let’s take a look at some mattress info!
Also known as a “single” mattress. Great in children’s rooms and smaller bedrooms. A narrow bed that is easy to move and fits almost anywhere.
Approx. width per person: 39″
- Pros: Fits in smaller bedrooms. Sheets are less expensive than for other sized beds.
- Cons: Too short for many adults.
Five inches longer than the standard twin and typically used in college dorms. Easy to move from room to room and great for taller teens.
Approx. width per person: 39″
- Pros: Longer length is great for taller teens and adults.
- Cons: Bedding can be harder to find and available patterns may be limited.
Sometimes called a “Double” mattress. Wider than a twin, but still limits sleeping space for two adults.
Approx. width per person: 27″
- Pros: Fits into smaller rooms. Sheets are less expensive than queen or king size.
- Cons: Considered by many to be too narrow for two adults. At 75″ in length, may be too short for some.
Longer and wider than a full, a queen is more accommodating for two adults. A good choice for smaller master bedrooms.
Approx. width per person: 30″
- Pros: Better fit for two adults. Plenty of length for most adults. Bedding is easy to find.
- Cons: Only slightly more sleeping width per person than a full. Some bedding is sold as “Full/Queen” and may not perfectly fit either size.
Sometimes referred to as an “Eastern King” and offers the same width per person as a twin. A king mattress uses two twin extra long sized box springs.
Approx. width per person: 39″
- Pros: Widest standard bed available. Comfortably sleeps 2 adults. Sheets are easy to find.
- Cons: Large size makes it difficult to fit up stairs and into smaller rooms. Bedding is more expensive than other standard sizes.
Also known as a “Western King” mattress. This may be the preferred choice of taller adults and adds a foot in width and four inches in length to the standard queen.
Approx. width per person: 36″
- Pros: More length to accommodate a taller person. Ample width for two adults.
- Cons: Challenging to move up and down stairs and from room to room. Bedding is expensive in king sizes. Sheets are more available on the West Coast and may be difficult to find in other parts of the country.
Now that you’re armed with the info you need to make the most informed decision, it’s time to shop for and try out mattresses! Bounce on over to Suburban for the most knowledgeable sales staff AND take advantage of our Fourth of July sale! Up to 67% off furniture & more storewide, interest-free until 2022, plus instant free delivery rebate – to say it’s all a bargain would be an understatement. This sale won’t last forever, so stop by soon!
Are you waking up not feeling refreshed but not struggling with pain? Your lack of sleep may be the result of something other than your mattress or pillow! Things such as light exposure can both positively or negatively affect your ability to fall asleep depending on how much exposure you’re getting, when you’re getting it, and what type of light exposure you’re getting.
Another factor that can make it harder to get a good night’s sleep is using your bed for too many things. Beds are meant to be used for very few things and your main association with the bed should be sleep. If you use your bed for things like watching TV or Reading, you start to associate it with those things and this can make it more difficult to get the recommended amount of sleep, which is 7-9 hours for most adults.
DOs and DON’Ts for building healthy sleep habits:
- Expose yourself to sunlight in the morning.
- Keep a consistent sleep schedule, even on days off.
- Avoid napping.
- Exercise daily.
- Keep your room somewhat cool.
- Give yourself time to unwind before bed. One hour of a relaxing activity such as reading is recommended. Avoid Phones, Computers and TVs.
- Expose yourself to bright light, especially blue lights, in the evenings.
- Drink alcohol before bed.
- Drink caffeine in the hours before you go to bed.
- Eat a big meal right before bed.
- Watch TV, read your phone, tablet, or books, or listen to music while in bed.
- Participate in stimulating activities before you go to bed.
Sleep pain is likely the result of a lack of proper support. This can mean anything from your mattress or pillow being worn out, to just not being the right fit for how you sleep.
1. Back Pain – Most often caused by a worn out mattress that is no longer capable of providing you with the support you need. Like slumping at your desk or while watching tv, slumping will likely cause back pain; preventing you from getting a full night’s sleep and contributing to back pain. As coils age they lose their ability to bounce back from weight being put on them night after night, resulting in a slumping mattress as they don’t have the same rigidity they once had, and need, in order to properly function.
This slumping doesn’t just apply to coil mattresses though, the same slumping issue is also true of foam mattresses. Slumping in foam mattresses is often easy to diagnose as the mattress will show visible signs of slumping while coil mattresses may not. To find the perfect mattress for your perfect night’s sleep come see our experts!
2. Neck Pain – Unlike back pain, neck pain is most commonly caused by your pillow, not your mattress. The pillow’s responsibility is to align your neck with your spine while you sleep. There are two key factors that go into why your pillow may have become a pain for your neck. The first is that the pillow has simply become worn out.
The other key factor to consider with your neck pain is did you select the right type of pillow for how you sleep? Depending on if you’re a side, back, or stomach sleeper the perfect pillow for you will change. Even the most expensive pillow can leave you waking up with pain in your neck if it doesn’t fit your sleep style. To find the perfect pillow for you, come see our experts!
Have questions about what might be causing your pain? We’re here to help! And keep following us for more info on sleep health and the importance of mattresses in the sleep equation! Ready to shop for your new mattress so you can get the best night’s sleep possible? Visit us HERE.
Why is it important to have healthy sleep habits and the right mattress?
Everything you do on a daily basis is impacted by how well, or poorly, you sleep. Finding the right mattress and pillow for you and building healthy sleep habits can impact everything from aches and pains, to how productive you are at work, to what kind of mood you’re in. Getting a full night’s sleep can make it easier to cut out that extra cup of coffee or energy drink you may rely on every day.
How Do You Sleep?
How you sleep is a huge part of finding a mattress that is not only comfortable but also instrumental in ensuring you wake up every morning feeling refreshed and without aches or pains.
Side Sleeper- If you’re a side sleeper you will likely find your best night’s sleep on a softer mattress that allows your hip to sink into the mattress a little bit. This give from the mattress allows your hip to drop down a bit and allows your spine to properly align.
Back Sleeper- If you’re a back sleeper you will likely find your best night’s sleep on a softer mattress that allows your shoulders and hips to sink in a little bit and allow your spine to properly align. If a mattress is too firm you will likely feel uncomfortable points of pressure similar to the pain many of us feel after sitting in a car for a long drive.
Stomach Sleeper- If you’re a stomach sleeper then your best night’s sleep will likely come from a firmer mattress. Unlike back and side sleeper’s you’re already putting yourself in a position where your spine is aligned. This means that a mattress with more give will actually cause your spine to slump a bit which could lead to you waking up with back pain.
We’ll have more blogs on sleep health and how the importance of mattresses in the sleep equation, so make sure you continue to drop by on the reg! And if you’re ready to shop for your new mattress so you can get the best night’s sleep possible, simply visit us HERE.