Healthy Sleep Habits
Are you waking up not feeling refreshed but not struggling with pain? Your lack of sleep may be the result of something other than your mattress or pillow! Things such as light exposure can both positively or negatively affect your ability to fall asleep depending on how much exposure you’re getting, when you’re getting it, and what type of light exposure you’re getting.
Another factor that can make it harder to get a good night’s sleep is using your bed for too many things. Beds are meant to be used for very few things and your main association with the bed should be sleep. If you use your bed for things like watching TV or Reading, you start to associate it with those things and this can make it more difficult to get the recommended amount of sleep, which is 7-9 hours for most adults.
DOs and DON’Ts for building healthy sleep habits:
- Expose yourself to sunlight in the morning.
- Keep a consistent sleep schedule, even on days off.
- Avoid napping.
- Exercise daily.
- Keep your room somewhat cool.
- Give yourself time to unwind before bed. One hour of a relaxing activity such as reading is recommended. Avoid Phones, Computers and TVs.
- Expose yourself to bright light, especially blue lights, in the evenings.
- Drink alcohol before bed.
- Drink caffeine in the hours before you go to bed.
- Eat a big meal right before bed.
- Watch TV, read your phone, tablet, or books, or listen to music while in bed.
- Participate in stimulating activities before you go to bed.
Posted on June 22, 2017, in General and tagged beauty rest, best mattresses, get a good night's sleep, healthy sleep habits, sleep habits, sleep health, suburban furniture new jersey, suburban furniture nj. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.